All of us are aware of the benefits of green tea for our health. But, green tea extract also has something to offer to our skin. Green tea extracts are made using Camellia sinensis tea botanical. Also, there are different types of tea extracted from the same tea plant, but green tea extract is the least processed among all. So, green tea extract retains more healthy properties. The green tea extract is rich in nutrients and antioxidants. So, the extract can address many skin-related issues.
Most of us consume green tea on daily basis because of the health benefits. All of us are familiar with green tea, but green tea extract is also gaining popularity because of its great properties. Green tea extract is a concentrated form of popular tea made from dried green tea leaves. The extract is also used as a natural flavor agent with antioxidant properties in food. The caffeine in the green tea extract works as an energy booster. These are a few benefits of green tea extract, but here we discuss its benefits for the skin. Let’s discover its potential benefits for the skin.
1. Treats acne: Market has many different creams, face washes, etc. to treat or reduce acne. But, green tea extract provides a chemical-free, natural solution to deal with the breakouts. The study has shown that consumption or topical use of green tea or green tea extract can help reduce breakouts and improve redness and irritated skin caused due to acne.
2. Slows down aging: Green tea consumption or application of green tea extract can help in slowing down the aging skin. Green tea has vitamin B-2 that can maintain collagen levels which improves skin firmness and keeps it young. Also, the research has shown that a combination of topical and oral- consumption of green tea improves skin elasticity. Another study has shown cosmetics with green tea extract as the ingredient helps in reducing skin damage caused due to sun exposure.
3. Remedy for puffy eyes: Take green tea bags for your tea and refrigerate them later for 10-20 minutes. Place these cold green tea bags on your eyes for almost 30 minutes to reduce puffiness. The green tea extracts applied under the eyes can help reduce dark circles.
4. A great exfoliator: Exfoliation involves the removal of old dead skin cells from the skin’s surface. Green tea extract has exfoliating properties that help in reducing the occurrence of blackheads while removing dead skin, bacteria, dirt, and other pollutants. So, use it for exfoliation and enhance skin renewal.
5. Balance the skin’s oil production: Green tea is rich in epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a polyphenol that can improve oily skin. The antimicrobial and astringent properties of the green tea extract balance the skin’s oil production and minimize the appearance of open pores. A Person with oily skin should include the products with green tea extracts for these benefits. Green tea-based cosmetic products are effective in reducing sebum production, a key characteristic of oily skin.
6. UV protection: Green tea has polyphenol antioxidants that can protect your skin from UV- damage. Whereas, there is research that shows that using green tea extract as an active ingredient for sunscreen (2-4%) can protect from UV-B rays.
7. Gives a refreshing skin: Green tea extracts-based cosmetics can make your skin look refreshed due to the astringent activity of tannins and polyphenols. The face mask containing these extracts has an antioxidant and toning effect. Adding a mask to your skincare routine can do wonders to your skin.
While Green tea has several potential health such as reducing the chances of cardiovascular diseases, type-2 diabetes, different cancers, etc. Green tea also has amazing benefits for the skin. So, a combination of consumption and topical application works best for the skin.
Here are some of the skincare products that contain Green Tree Extract as a key ingredient.